The Director of the Institute of Computer Science of the Polish Academy of Sciences is Professor Jacek Koronacki (in the picture).
Another governing body of the Institute is the Scientific Council which is chaired by Professor Andrzej Tarlecki.
The Institute has two Departments:
Department of Theoretical Foundations of Computer Science (Head of the Department Professor Beata Konikowska), and Department Of Artificial Intelligence (Head of the Department Professor Jan Mielniczuk).
The Department of Theoretical Foundations of Computer Science’s main research activities lay in the following areas:
- Theory of Distributed and Computing Systems.
- The Department Of Artificial Intelligence specializes in the fields of
- Statistical Analysis and Modelling
- Linguistic Engineering
- Foundations of Artificial Intelligence
- Computational Biology.
- The Institute’s major types of scientific activities include:
- Research projects (e.g. evidential reasoning, knowledge acquisition and representation, statistical and biologically motivated learning paradigms, decision theory)
- Conferences (e.g. International Conference on Language Processing and Intelligent Information Systems, International Joint Conference on Security and Intelligent Information Systems, International Conference on Computer Information Systems and Industrial Management Applications)
- Publications (more than 150 articles, book chapters, monographs and books each year).
If you are interested in finding out more not about our Institute but about the entire Polish Academy of Sciences, here is a link to its web-site in English: http://www.english.pan.pl/ You may also download a brochure from here.